Jobs & Scholarships

Studying with Tropical HTIRC

Graduate Students stand with TropHTIRC personnel in front of koa

We are always looking to recruit qualified, energetic, and self-motivated staff members to Tropical HTIRC as graduate students, post-doctoral researchers, or visiting scientists. Tropical HTIRC staff are usually based at Purdue University or the University of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa, and much of our fieldwork is focused on Hawai‘i Island, in collaboration with the University of Hawai‘i Komohana Research and Extension Center and the USDA Forest Service Pacific Southwest Research Station’s Institute of Pacific Islands Forestry, both in Hilo.

Graduate students should have an undergraduate and/or MS degree in forestry, ecology, horticulture, or related field along with some level of practical or research experience. Funding to support graduate assistantships may be available through department or university scholarship programs, the USDA McIntire-Stennis Cooperative Forestry Research Program, and/or through external grants. We are particularly interested in recruiting Native Hawaiian, female, and underrepresented minority applicants. More information on graduate studies at Purdue or UH can be found here:

University of Hawaii LogoPurdue University Logo

Post-doctoral Researchers or Visiting Scientists

Prospective post-doctoral researchers or visiting scientists are also encouraged to contact us with your interests. Funding from departmental scholarships or external grants may be available to support post-doctoral fellowships. We also welcome visiting international scientists that may wish to conduct a research sabbatical with Tropical HTIRC – usually, these scholars are expected to attain the majority of funding from their home institutions.

Learn More